Monday 10 May 2010

Cupcake Pincushion


Well this was one of the earlier pieces of work that kicked off my craft/cooking/scrapbooking phase. The inspiration for this came from walking past a sewing shop and seeing the cute cupcake pincushions. However, soon enough shock horror set in when I noticed the price on those things! I mean yes they look good but are so not worth the price (you may notice that most things I make/do are a result of these discoveries, I refuse to be ripped off).

Making the item itself was interesting as I had trouble sourcing the cupcake mould base and had to search long and wide to get a hold of the right size (of course knowing my luck once I had found them, not long after I just kept spotting them everywhere I went).

I also had to have a good think about how to put the pincushion together, I’d seen some blogs on how to do it but I didn’t want to go to the lengths of getting all these additional materials (I’m also quite insistent on making things with what I have). So after rummaging around the house I located some materials and set off to put the thing together. This experience enabled me to try my hand at machine embroidery (unfortunately I did not master it that well on first try) but it was fun and certainly something I'd try again in the future.

Lessons learned: embroidery

No comments:

Post a Comment